Wednesday 20 July 2016

I use vim

"I don't always write.  But when I do, I use vim."


Why vim?

  1. Vim is cross-platform: Mac OS, Unix, Microsoft Windows.  Vim works everywhere.
  2. My muscle memory of key commands for cursor movement, text selection, and text edit is very strong after several years.
  3. Vim can be used to write text in any format: Markdown, LaTeX, vimwiki, or mediawiki markup just to start.
  4. Vim has folding.  Get text out of the way you do not want to see.
  5. Syntax highlighting shows your wiki links
  6. The Pragmatic Programmer recommends "Use a Single Editor Well"
  7. You can define your own abbreviations for common terms.
  8. Complete keywords by searching existing keywords
  9. Tabs and splits allow you to jump from one piece of text to another very quickly.
  10. The vimwiki plugin allows creation of linked plain-text files to make a wiki.  The Pragmatic Programmer recommends "Keep Knowledge in Plain Text."  Vimwiki does that.

Admittedly, vim is an even stronger tool partnered with vimwiki, grep and
pandoc.



 I'm going to go into more detail about how I use vimwiki to manage my campaign details in a series of future posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment